Admiral of Morality: The Mail

Friday, March 09, 2007

The Mail

My good Admiral: I must say I am disgusted by some of the goings on I have read about. While the principals of the Anglican community met in a seaside resort in Tangiers to soak up the sun and argue over cocktails about who is the best Christian I am working 60 hours weekly to keep a roof costing me 250 pounds per week over my head and my children's and to drop a bit into the mite box. All the while our "leaders" live in high style removed from the day to day workings of the world of course in the name of God. If they desire to be good Christians and to argue why don't they come down to [address redacted] in Newham and hand over all the quid spent flying around arguing because there is plenty of need of it in these parts. I will then assign three of my children to argue with the good and proper bishops until they are blue in the face, which should not take long since they are always on the verge of apoplexy over some rubbish or other anyway. Yours sincerely, L. Richardson, London, England, UK

Madame: Thank you for your letter. I too am often inclined to wonder whether our esteemed bishops, especially those in England who spend vast sums on their palatial homes by raiding the funds for church work, mighn't do more good if they were to know more often and first hand, about the real troubles and lives of actual living Christians. Perhaps we could all recommend at our respective synods, a new program, called, a week without a bishop, wherein a select group of bishops lay down their crooks and walk the paths of their sheep.

∞ ∞ ∞

My good Admiral: We write to you having recently organized the Committed Readers Against Zeitgeists, Innovations, & Episcopal Shortcomings (The C.r.a.z.i.e.s). We don't normally visit your site since it's full of lies, distortions, and other manifestations of your fallenness. We prefer to read the tried and true statements found at [site redacted]. Be that as it may we hope to impress upon you the solemn responsibility and oath you took at your baptism and/or confirmation, assuming you have done so. Did you not take an oath to "renounce the evil powers of this world which corrupt and destroy the creatures of God", and to "renounce all sinful desires that draw you from the love of God." We won’t dwell on each and every manifestation of your failures to abide by these oaths but will only note that the list of such is long and growing longer. Signed, The C.r.a.z.i.e.s, from parts various

Genetlemen: Thank you for writing and for your concerns for my well being. I note they are rooted in our baptismal vows. I too have noted with growing dismay at various places the failure to abide by the vows we have taken, which require us to "proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ," to "seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving your neighbor as yourself," and to "strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being." Alas, as you note, I am a sinner, and often fall short of these words. But with the help of the Church and of the Lord Jesus Christ, who has called me to Him and whom I acknowledge as Savior, and in whose grace and love I put my entire trust, I continue in the apostles' teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in the prayers. Indeed, were it not for this Church and the grace of God, I have no doubt I would be lost. I take it you may feel likewise; therefore so that we may one day share our circumstances and thereby strengthen each other in our faith and prayers, I hope we may one day meet. If not in this life, then in the world to come, where He will have gathered to Himself all who have proclaimed His Name. Yours, The AoM

∞ ∞ ∞

My good Admiral: Greetings. Catherine of http://come-to-the-table.blogspot.com recommended your site to me with the suggestion that you might like to visit my site and link to it. It focuses on providing resources for liturgy and spirituality. You would get an idea of the "flavour" of what it offers by visiting http://www.liturgy.co.nz/html/collect573b.html and http://www.liturgy.co.nz/html/collectlent2.html. The site is Liturgy: Christian worship & spirituality - serving individuals and communities seeking to have worship and spirituality that is vital, transforming, and faithful. God bless your Lent and your mission and ministry on the web. Signed, Bosco Peters

Sir: I am quite happy to note your site and to recommend it to others. Grace and peace in the Name of the Lord. Yours, The AoM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some 29.5 million pounds those English bishops are spending on their palaces. That's $57,000,331.90 to all us Yanks!

Think of all the malaria nets that would buy.

Josh Thomas

3/09/2007 04:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home