Admiral of Morality: Raison d'Etre (French/Freedom for "He got it from Me")

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Raison d'Etre (French/Freedom for "He got it from Me")

It recently came to my attention that Peter Beckwith, the Vice Chairman of the American Anglican Council, a group devoted to breaking up the Episcopal Church, is himself a bishop in The Episcopal Church, of Springfield Diocese.

Shockingly, he styles himself "the admiral of morality" in his Diocese apparently since he holds the rank of Rear Admiral in the service reserve and served as a Navy chaplain.

I am offended. I am the Admiral of Morality. Beckwith was never aboard my ship. Furthermore I have been using the term longer than he has. He may be older than me but that is not pertinent as I outrank him. Hence this blog.

It's not important to note that a bishop of a church can also be a vice chair of a group dedicated to breaking that church up, so I won't note it very much, because as we all know what is really important is just doing what you want despite what you should be doing. I have served aboard many ships and doing whatever you like despite your pay grade and mission, is tantamount to insubordination, or at least irony.

Perhaps Beckwith is an ironic bishop in the way that some of us are ironic bowlers? For example, after Bishop Beckwith began his episcopacy in Springfield in 1992, he initiated "Vision 2000," a plan to emphasize and promote pastoral care, Christian formation, and stewardship. Apparently he concludes it is best to promote pastoral care and and formation by working to undermine TEC, revoking lay episcopal ministers' licenses, and not confirming anybody in a parish.

Forgive me. I digress. I simply wanted to emphasize that I am the Admiral of Morality, I have been using the title for quite some time, and this blog will be reminding us all of this from time to time.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Hooray for you! I applaud your good sense. How dare this anarchist claim the title in an organization he is clearly bent on destroying??

10/18/2006 06:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm running the flag up to salute you and your un-common wonderful sense of style and good sense!

Thank you Admiral for being the authentic version of YOU!

Leonardo Ricardo

10/18/2006 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger The AoM said...

Thank you Lisa; thank you Leonardo. I have read comments by the both of you at various places with pleasure. (I wonder at the coincidence that both of you lubbers have names that begin with "l"; as does "lubber." Perhaps it is the whiskey.)

Lisa, thank you for helping to organize the Episcopal Majority. I look forward to reading and posting about the Episcopal Gathering in early November.

10/18/2006 09:44:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

You're too kind, Admiral! I'm merely a handmaiden to the growing force that is The Episcopal Majority.

You're off to a grand start. These windbags deserve what you've done here. Keep 'em coming!

10/19/2006 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger Saint Pat said...

Nice blog. Great, except for the Amazing Race part . Who am I to judge, though? I have Funniest Home Videos on the tv behind me!.

10/22/2006 07:50:00 PM  
Blogger Min O'Pause said...

Dear Admiral,

Fantastic blog. Can't you just picture a new reality show called "Episcopal/Anglican Wife Swap?" Oh the ideas are limitless.

10/23/2006 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger The AoM said...

Thank you, Min. I notice in your profile that you live "in one of the most conservative counties." I take it you and your partner and cats are not delighted by this?

Saint Pat, I didnt know that that show was still on the air!

10/24/2006 07:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Admiral,

Great site. I have been sloughing off under the sacristy for years in the AA meeting at your churches. Myself and the other rowers are very tired of the harsh conditions in which we toil under.
As you are the Admiral, when is it that we will be allowed to come up on deck for a little sun?

I noticed you don't brook any dissension in the ranks so I will remain anonymous.

4/14/2007 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger Brother Billy said...

I like your style, Admiral. As a former landlubber in the Diocese of Springfield, I'd sure like to find a quotable source for Bishop Beckwith's use of the label "admiral of morality". Some of my old friends in the diocese would be sure to find it vastly and appallingly amusing - or amusingly appalling -- or just appalling.

6/26/2007 01:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AOM..Please..."He may be older than I,..." Please run this through grammar check next time. :)

8/23/2007 09:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home